After completing their acclaimed folk-rock trilogy in 1979, Jethro Tull returned a year later with A, an album that introduced a different sound and a new line-up. Originally intended as a solo record by the band’s founder Ian Anderson, the album’s single-letter title refers to the studio tapes, which were marked “A” for Anderson. When the album was finished, the group’s label Chrysalis insisted that it be credited to Jethro Tull, even though only two members from the band’s previous incarnation were featured: Anderson and guitarist Martin Barre. Despite that, the album and subsequent tour were well-received by fans around the world.
To mark the album’s anniversary, Rhino will release A (A LA MODE) - THE 40TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION on 3CD + 3DVD.
- Original album and associated recordings newly remixed by Steven Wilson
- Original album and five associated recordings mixed in DTS and Dolby AC 3, 5.1 Surround, and stereo 96/24 LPCM
- Full concert from the LA Sports Arena recorded in August 1980
- Full LA Sports Arena concert mixed by Steven Wilson in DTS and Dolby AC 3, 5.1 Surround, and stereo 96/24 LPCM
- Flat transfer of the original LP master at 96/24 LPCM stereo
- DVD of Slipstream video remixed by Steven Wilson in DTS and Dolby AC 3, 5.1 Surround, and stereo 96/24 LPCM
- Presented in a case-bound 96 page book in DVD-format, filled with an extensive history of the album, track-by-track annotations by Anderson, rare photographs, lyrics for the album and associated tracks, interview with Steven Wilson on the mixing of A and the LA Sports Arena Live Show, director David Mallet discusses the filming of Slipstream and his career in music videos, Mark Craney interviewed in 1989 by Doane Perry, interview with art director Pete Wagg, 1980 Tour Programme + a recording and touring chronology
For this new collection, the album has been expanded with five unreleased tracks from the recording sessions, including a different take of the single “Working John, Working Joe,” an extended version of “Crossfire” and the outtake “Coruisk.”
A (A LA MODE) - THE 40TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION also includes a live recording from November 1980 of the band’s full concert at the LA Sports Arena. The performance mixed new A tracks (“Black Sunday,” “Batteries Not Included” and “Uniform”) with older hits, like “Aqualung,” “Heavy Horses” and “Songs From The Wood.” A few of these live tracks first appeared in 1981 on Slipstream, a video collection originally released on VHS and Laserdisc. The full Slipstream video, which made its DVD debut in 2004, is also included in this anniversary edition. Here, the content has been newly remixed by Steven Wilson.